A Translator’s Tricks of the Trade for Transcribing German Genealogy Documents
About the Book:
Have German genealogy documents but can’t read them? You’re not alone. Whether you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced genealogy enthusiast, these easy-to-use transcription and translation tips by professional German handwriting translator Katherine Schober will help you reach new levels in deciphering your ancestors’ genealogy records. In this newly-revised, comprehensive collection of Katherine’s most popular articles and blog posts, you will discover how to easily recognize a number of letters in the old German handwriting, become familiar with the abbreviations, occupations and outdated words that pepper German documents and learn how to use the very same resources as a professional genealogy translator when deciphering letters, diaries, church records, certificates and more. Complete with “real-life” handwriting samples, German word glossaries and additional lists of genealogy tools, this guide is a must-have for anyone working with the old German script.
In this book, you will learn:
• The telltale signs of certain handwritten letters
• The “look-alike letters” in German handwriting and how to work with them
• Common ancestral occupations for both men and women in German genealogy
• Abbreviations and milestone words found in German documents
• Outdated German words no longer in dictionaries and their meanings today
• The typical spelling mistakes on German records and how to identify them
• How to read the standard German marriage certificate format
• The best online resources for transcribing the old German handwriting
Whether you’ve mastered the old German handwriting or are just starting out, this book will provide you with the supplemental knowledge necessary to delve deeper into the exciting world of German genealogy.